Fido Alert Skip to content

Dog Parasite Treatment, Flea & Tick Prevention Brandon, FL

dog icon

Fleas love the tropical climate of Florida and Hillsborough County actually leads the nation in the flea population. Flea and tick prevention for dogs is a vital part of maintaining your pet’s health. We have more fleas than any other county in the entire nation! Once fleas feed on your pet, they’ll most certainly invade your house, bringing with them other potentially harmful diseases.

Did you Know? 
Statistics show that once a dog gets fleas, they get passed around in the environment in which he lives. Numbers indicate to us that only 5% of fleas in a home will stay on the dog. The remainder 95% live in the base of the carpet, the crevasses of hardwood floors, under cushions, in bedding, and other dark, out of the way places.

Central and South Florida are infested year-round with mosquitoes due to the warm, humid climate. Mosquitoes are known carriers of heartworms, a life-threatening disease for dogs.  Several parasites can affect dogs including:

  • Hook Worms
  • Round Worms
  • Tape Worms
  • Ear Mites
  • Heart Worms
  • Fleas
  • Ticks

Fortunately, advances in parasite control medication, flea preventative, can help prevent flea and other parasite infestations. The cost of the treatment is low; the application is easy and will help ensure your pet’s wellness for several weeks at a time.

Flea/Tick Control – Vectra 3 D and Activyl
Vecrta 3D  (Ceva Pharmaceuticals) and Activyl (Merck Animal Health) are the next generation in flea and tick control.  Apply either as a topical treatment every 30 days to prevent and control fleas and ticks.

Flea Control – Comfortis and Vectra
 (Elanco) is an oral flea control preventative and Vectra (Ceva Pharmaceuticals) is a topical flea only preventative.  If applied every 30 days as directed, it is our experience that these are the two best flea only products available on the market today.

Heartworm Only – Tri-Heart Plus and ProHeart 6
Tri-Heart Plus
 (Merck Animal Health) is the oral heartworm and intestinal parasite preventatives that we use and recommend in our practice.  Have you ever accidentally missed a dose or even two? Proheart 6 (Pfizer Animal Health) is the newly reintroduced injectable heartworm preventative that is effective for 6 months at a time.

Heartworm and Flea Combo –  TrifexisSentinel, Revolution
Our strongest recommendation for flea, heartworm and intestinal parasite preventative and control is available in a combination product.  Because we live in a tropical, humid environment it is necessary to administer one of these products every 30 days to adequately prevent and control flea infestations, heartworms and intestinal parasites.  Heartworms kill thousands of dogs and cats every year making it vitally important to test and protect your beloved pets from this deadly disease.  Trifexis (Elanco) and Sentinel (Novartis Animal Health)are both oral medications and Revolution (Pfizer Animal Health) is topical and all three are administered every 30 days, year round.

We can even have the flea prevention shipped directly to your home. Contact us at (813) 684-PETS (7387)to speak with a member of our staff. It’s that easy!

flea and tick prevention for dogs

A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life.”

Bob Barker

We call them ‘Man’s Best Friend’ for a reason.

For hundreds of years, our canine companions have brought joy and laughter into the home – as well as protection for those that need it.

Many of us look at our dogs as members of the family and with that in mind we should make sure that they’re getting the proper medical and nutritional care they need to stay happy and healthy for years to come. At Care Animal Hospital, we’ve worked with thousands of dogs and puppies for more than 25 years to protect them against disease and protect them when they are sick.

Need to schedule an appointment?

Contact our Brandon veterinary hospital at (813) 684-PETS (7387) to speak with a member of our staff. Your pet will thank you for it!

dog grooming
Scroll To Top